Layouts Index Home Page
Description based on material supplied by the layout owner
Bembridge was the easternmost station on the Isle of Wight, located some 2.75 miles north-east of Brading Junction. The line opened in 1882 and was closed in 1953 due to declining traffic. In the 1920s, with the introduction of the Adams 02 class tanks, the sector plate was increased in size from 16'5" to 25' to accommodate the longer wheelbase engines. In 1935 the Southern Railway decided to make the line one train working so there was no need for signals. The signal box is effectively a ground frame and was operated by the fireman to allow the engine to run round its train.
The line was mainly operated with the Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T, Terriers and the later 02s; this also included a push-pull operation. During any quiet period of the day, the duty engine would leave its train at Brading or Bembridge and perform shunting duties at St Helens Quay. Coal wagons would also be propelled from St Helens to the coal siding. The long siding was used to store rolling stock when no other space was available locally.
Return to Home Page