Layouts Index Home Page
Description based on material supplied by the layout owner
Elderdyke for Clogger
The Hull, Beverley and Scarborough Railway (HB&SR) was proposed to form a direct route between Driffield and Seamer Junction without having to use the coast route via Bridlington and Filey, or the inland route via Malton.
The line from Driffield to Seamer was single track and was completed in 1846 with intermediate stations at Kilham. Langtoft, Elderdyke and Foxholes. The line was absorbed into the York and North Midland Railway. which controlled lines in the Hull, Whitby and Scarborough areas until 1854 when it amalga- mated with the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway and the Leeds Northern Railway to form the North Eastern Railway. The North Eastern Railway con- trolled most of the lines in the North East of England between the Humber and the Tweed and became part of the LNER at the grouping in 1923.
At Elderdyke there was a short branch to Clogger, to capture the vegetable traffic. Elderdyke was not the largest village on this section of the route, so was not blessed with a passing loop, but it was the most convenient location for the Clogger branch to join the route. There was a siding connecting the works of Moore's printers, who had acquired the contract. During the Second World War, to print ration books for the Government This generated a good deal of van traffic to and from the works.
The vegetable traffic from Clogger also generated van traffic, and together with coal and general goods kept up a viable goods service but the passenger service on the branch was not well patronised except for the weekly Clogger market which saw the passenger service quite busy.
The time period for the layout is 1945 when the LNER embarked on its re- numbering scheme, so some locomotives carry the old number while some carry the new. The Sentinel railcar on the branch passenger was one of the last in service and was in the course of being replaced by a C16 on push—puIl, so both are evident.
Passenger trains over the HB&SR were never very long, three or four coaches usually being quite sufficient to cope with passenger numbers. Countryside in the area was fairly flat so the route was not taxing on locomotives and their crews.
The Clogger branch closed to passengers in 1958 although freight continued until 1962 when the line from Driffield to Seamer closed to all traffic.
Return to Home Page