Layouts Index Home Page
Description based on material supplied by the layout owner
During the 1950-1960 steam period, Hillton was a thriving terminus station with a turntable and shed. Due to the Beeching cuts of the 1960's, Hillton was closed and left to decay. In the mid 1990's EWS and Network Rail needed a site for a new Traction and Maintenance Depot. The land on which the old steam depot once stood was flattened and redeveloped into a modem maintenance facility and a work base for drivers. Due to public pressure and a grant from the Welsh Assembly, the old station was re-opened as a single line terminus and was re-connected to an old branch off the main line between Newport and Gloucester. This proved very popular with people from neighbouring towns and villages.
With connections from the branch to most major cities; commuters now travel to Gloucester, Bristol, Newport and Cardiff.
The new depot is in a convenient location to service and maintain the regions EWS locomotive fleet and is used by other companies from both South Wales and the West of England. The depot is very busy with locomotives arriving and departing for turns of duty and for maintenance and re-fuelling.
Return to Home Page