Layouts Index Home Page
Description based on material supplied by the layout owner
Newham Goods Truro
Newham started life as the terminus for the West Cornwall railway at Truro in April 1855 and continued to be so until May 1859, when most trains were diverted into the new station of the Cornwall! G. W. R. railway leaving Newham as a goods depot with the occasional passenger train.
The West Cornwall Railway came about by the Hale and Penzance railway and its constituencies wishing to build a line to Truro and its quays to tap into the china clay and farm produce market .1. K. Brunei was engaged as the engineer for the line which surprisingly for him was built to the standard gauge. The station at Newham was a Brunei style overall roof with a hip-roofed station building, single platform and goods shed plus other buildings already on the quay at the time. The goods depot lasted well into the 20th century also avoiding the Beeching era and finally closing in 1976.
The layout was built for the 18.83 challenge and took 2% years to build. All track and points are hand laid ply and rivet, 95% of the buildings are scratch built plus a few small kits. All the ship models are kits from Langley. The base boards are constructed on the Barry Norman style of 4mm ply box beams for ends and sides and 6.5 mm ply for the top. Points are worked using piano wire and bell cranks.
Return to Home Page