Layouts Index Home Page
Description based on material supplied by the layout owner
When the GWR extended its Leominster to Kington branch further on to New Radnor, the new railway ran for a distance parallel to the old horse drawn tramway to Hergest Ridge. The tramway was upgraded to a steam powered narrow gauge line initially using a variety of locomotives but subsequently was able to make use of the ex-Glyn Valley Tramway locomotives which were purchased from the official receiver in 1935 and re-gauged to 2 feet 3 inch.
The GWR were persuaded to construct a small station at Hergest to allow a secondary interchange between the standard and narrow gauges. As well as servicing facilities at Hergest, the narrow gauge railway provided the local community with a means of transporting incoming coal and outgoing stone and local foodstuffs.
The layout is set in Autumn of 1947, a surfeit of ex-army road vehicles and the return to civilian life of men seeking work would lead to the closure of both the narrow gauge and standard gauge railways within five years.
Return to Home Page