Layouts Index Home Page
Description based on material supplied by the layout owner
Rheilffordd Clydach Railway
The layout represents a fictional preserved tourist railway situated somewhere on the coast of north-west Wales.
Richard has imagined that the original line was built to carry slate from quarries in the mountains to the port of Aberclydach.
After commercial operation ceased, the Clydach Railway Preservation Society took over the ownership of the railway in 1954 and re-opened it. The line later expanded onto the track-bed and bridges of a standard gauge branch line which had closed in the 1960's. The new section was opened in 1979 and since then passenger numbers have grown, new stock has been built and now the Clydach Railway (Rheilffordd Clydach) is undoubtedly one of the “Great Little Trains of Wales”.
The layout was featured in RAILWAY MODELLER magazine in November 2010, and also in the May and June 2012 issues.
Return to Home Page